Sunday, February 1, 2009

Holy cats, what a weekend

The plan to run at race pace did not backfire. Quite the opposite.

I woke up this morning and the quadriceps minors on both legs were still tight. I read in one of my fitness-related publications that one of the causes of such tightness (or the feeling like they've been dipped in concrete, as it were) is increasing distance or intensity too soon. Well, no shit. Nothing that my nightly stretches can't heal.

That said, I still trudged up to Half Acre and found myself a nice treadmill next to an attractive lass running (as it turned out) as hard as I had planned to. I warmed up at 6.5 mph and once I'd covered 10 minutes, I cranked it up. The workout called for three miles at race pace — for me, in the neighborhood of 8 mph, or 7:30 per mile. Mission accomplished. Furthermore, my heart rate stayed under my max for the second day in a row; I knew something was up when my heart stayed under 150 for most of my 9:00 per mile warmup. The total time was around 22:59. Should have been 22:30 but I wussed out and did a half mile or so at 7.9 mph. It was tough, but worth it.

The questions facing me this week: How wise would it be to move up to 18 miles per my schedule for Sunday's run? And how many miles will I face before I sac up and go outside, leaving the womblike cocoon of Half Acre? 

Bottom line, I needed this. Badly. In a previous post I talked about how my goals for St. Louis get more and more "realistic" every day. Now I feel like I can go back in the other direction.

The playlist: The first nine tracks of 1:45 Playlist B

"Suckerpunch," Bowling for Soup
"Army of Me," Björk
"Say Goodbye to Love," Kenna
"Big'uns Get the Ball Rollin'," Stanton Moore
"Vapor," Soulive
"Sexx Laws," Beck
"Into the Groove," Ziggy Marley
"Shu Ba Ba Du Ma Ma Ma," Steve Miller Band
"Travelling Riverside Blues," Led Zeppelin

No comments: